May is upon us, with days that truly feel like Spring! Here at Annie’s Book Stop of Worcester, the little bookstore that’s bigger on the inside, the month of May brings lots of fresh new books and products to rejuvenate your spirits! We know that this pandemic year has made it feel like “a long, cold, lonely winter”, to quote the late great George Harrison and The Beatles. But we hope we’ve helped to bring YOU, our customers and friends, a little bit of “sun” in dark times.
First off, let us share our picks for our May publishers specials, ranging from mystery to historical fiction to urban fantasy to children’s graphic novels to astrophysics and beyond.
- HOUR OF THE WITCH [hardcover] by Chris Bohjalian – historical fiction
- FORTUNE AND GLORY – TANTALIZING TWENTY-SEVEN [trade paperback] by Janet Evanovich – mystery
- HEMINGWAY’S CATS [mass market paperback] by Lindsey Hooper – contemporary romance
- THE GOD EQUATION [hardcover] by Michio Kaku – science
- THE GIVER OF STARS [trade paperback] by Jojo Moyes – literary fiction
- MAGIC TREE HOUSE GN#1 – DINOSAURS BEFORE DARK [paperback] by Osborne, Laird, Matthews and Matthews – graphic novel
- NO SLEEP TILL WONDERLAND [trade paperback] by Paul Tremblay – urban fantasy
All of these titles will be discounted 42% off retail price during the month of May.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? Are you a subscriber? You won’t want to miss our fresh content!
We’ve added quite a few more video interviews during the month of April with editors, prose writers, and poets in the fields of horror and dark fantasy.
Upcoming in the month of May we’ll be hosting YouTube interviews with a number of fiction and nonfiction authors, illustrators, and graphic novelists written for children and for young adults. Keep an eye out for:
- Jerry Craft
- Carole Boston Weatherford
- Tamora Pierce
- Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Bridget Heos
- Grace Lin
- Ginjer L. Clarke
The Governor’s Office of Massachusetts has loosened some of the restrictions brought about by COVID-19, but we expect between now and September that we’ll be concentrating less on in-person events such as book signings and craft socials, and concentrating more on continuing to bring you the best in merchandise and customer service for your in-store shopping needs.
The school summer reading season is just around the corner as well as beach season, hiking season, and other outdoor pursuits. In addition, we continue to replenish our sidewalk sale carts with a variety of reading treasures.
A few reminders:
- Our store hours are currently 10AM to 8PM Mondays through Thursdays, 10AM to 9PM Fridays and Saturdays, 10AM to 5PM on Sundays. We expect to expand hours during the summer months, and we will post those hours when they occur.
- Appointments are no longer needed to shop, and we will keep an eye on capacity limits for now. Face masks MUST still be worn in the store at all times by both customers and staff, and please remember to observe social distancing where possible.
- LIMIT ONE BAG OR ONE BOX OF BOOKS PER DAY FOR TRADE-IN OR FOR DONATION. [This usually adds up to between ten and twenty books at a time.] We cannot emphasize this strongly enough. While we do understand and sympathize that many people are doing spring clear-outs, downsizing, or moving at this time of year, here at ABSW we just do not have the capability to process large amounts of donations and trade-ins. It’s a safety issue for you as well as a manpower issue for us, during the continued limitations of the COVID-19 pandemic. We very much appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
As always, thank you for making our shelves your destination.
—Patty and the staff of Annie’s Book Stop of Worcester